Skip to main content

Taxing Tickets

I have always been hugely passionate about music. From my first breath, music has permeated every aspect of my life, a constant companion through the highs and lows of learning how to cope with my disability. Growing up, when things got too much, I would retreat to the solace of my earphones. A familiar world, without judgement or pain. I would bathe in the rejuvenating melodies, immersing myself in soothing sounds. Similarly, when I need to focus, music is my first port of call. In fact, every blog I write has it's own soundtrack. 

Nothing compares to live music. I would recommend it to anyone. You are able to literally feel the music, the way the musician intended their songs to be heard. You become the beat, bass notes morph into your heartbeat. Going to a concert transforms you on a primal level. Adrenaline courses through your veins, leaving you with a euphoric sense of happiness and emotional freedom. Booking the tickets, that is an entirely different story!

Ticket merchants seem to be oblivious to the fact that disabled people might want to experience a concert. We just sit at home, in front of the TV, happily bobbing along to our favourite tunes. Firstly, you are unable to book disabled tickets online in the conventional way. Instead, you are left  aimlessly trawling the internet for the Disabled Access Line of your chosen venue. Surely the artist would place that information on their official website? Unfortunately not. 

Last Saturday, I was determined to purchase tickets to see Ed Sheeran, he has always been on my bucket list of artists. I prepared with almost military precision, scouting out the correct telephone number before the golden tickets were released. The day came, I completed my morning routine with time to spare. I sat down in front of my mobile phone, flexing my one dialling finger and miming my best telephone voice. I was marooned in countless menus for what felt like an eternity. Finally, the line buzzed into life and an electronic voice states that I am number 56 in the queue. My heart sank. 

After over a hour of not so patiently waiting, I successfully claimed my tickets. Whilst I felt an amazing sense of jubilation, I began thinking about the potentially thousands of disabled people who were unable to buy tickets, due to the lack relevant information. Music is everyone. Therefore, it should be mandatory for artists to publish accessible ticket information on their website. This would make it easier for more disabled people to experience live music, without having to have a degree in computer technology. 

See you soon,

John x

Comments