Skip to main content

My Big Brother House

Welcome to my first blog of July. Incredibly, another month has flown by, as if it were a dandelion in the wind. A month of fascinating political jostling, intermingled with horrific tragedy that left us all questioning what it means to be human. Since I began this blog, I have been astounded by the connections we form today, particularly on Social Media. 

Let me tell you a little more about myself. I am a 20 something (the older I get, the more significant the “something” becomes) disabled man. I live in the dead centre of the United Kingdom, a short drive from the picturesque Derbyshire Peak District. I have resided in my own flat for the past 7 years. I require full assistance with all aspects of my daily life, everything from applying aftershave to brushing my teeth. 

Having live in care has exposed me to the full spectrum of humanity, good and bad. Imagine opening your front door and inviting in the first stranger you see, desperately trying to find some common ground with them, then you realise they are staying for a week. You both have to adapt to each other's habits, whilst trying to respect one another's privacy. Your personal Big Brother house. Unfortunately, your housemate may not be Gordon Ramsay in the kitchen, or have the cleaning routine of Kim Woodburn. That said, if you are lucky enough to stumble upon a good match, you cling on to it with all your might. 

Due to the impermanent nature of the care industry, no-one sticks around forever. I have managed to develop a kindly indifference to my constantly changing Personal Assistants. You cherish the good ones and make the most of the time you have together, however you cannot allow yourself to become reliant on them to enrich your life. You are the master of your own destiny. My disability is part of me, it informs the way I interact with the world, it doesn't define who I am. Without my disability, I would not be the person I am today, or had the opportunity to experience some amazing things. So, in a way, I am grateful for my disability.

From an early age, I had a fascination with words and reading. I could escape my physical constraints and disappear into extraordinary worlds, places where my imperfections were distant memories. As I grew up, I discovered the miraculous power of the written word to articulate human emotions. I became determined to have my voice heard and to speak up for people, particularly those who are unable to speak for themselves. I started this blog to demonstrate that regardless of what challenges you face in life, if they are faced with determination and curiosity, you can't go wrong!

See you next week,

John xx

Comments