Skip to main content

Anti-social Media

Social media surrounds us, massively effecting how we interact with one another. We chronicle our lives through pictures and posts. Even United States policy has been reduced to tweeting. I use Instagram and Twitter to promote this blog. Whilst I recognise the huge potential of social media, I have also experienced it's sinister side. 

Before beginning to write this blog I seldom used Instagram or Twitter, now I am a prolific user. I can instantly reach like minded people and expand my own viewpoint, hopefully aiding the scope of my writing. Through Instagram, I stumbled across Laura (https://www.mumoam.co.uk) who is an extraordinary writer, who blogs about life with her disabled son, providing insight and comfort to her readers. If my parents had been able to access blogs like Laura’s, I sincerely believe that they would have not felt so isolated - particularly my mum - would have found solace in the fact she wasn't alone. 

This week I downloaded “Yellow”, an app that claims to help the user gain more followers and make new connections. Within minutes of joining a live chat, I was subjected to a barrage of abuse, ranging from comments about my appearance to sexual preference. Needless to say I deleted my account 48 hours later, but I began to question the increasingly hostile environment some social media platforms have become. Not a week goes by without the news reporting that mental health conditions on the rise, specifically among teenagers and young people. Surely this is no surprise, if they are constantly exposed to an unobtainable world of false perfection, where your perceived imperfections are magnified. 

Social media is littered with filtered images, giving the impression that our ordinary lives need to be altered. We choose what is worthy of posting, forgetting that true beauty lies in the relationships that we form, each and every day of our regular life. 

See you soon,

John xx

Comments