Skip to main content

To The Stars

Throughout our lives we are shaped by those who inspire us, moulding our outlook and defining the way in which we relate to the world we inhabit. I am extremely fortunate to have been blessed with a loving family who have always encouraged me to pursue my ambitions, regardless of any barriers or obstacles I have faced. I became aware of Stephen Hawking while I was wrestling with the constraints of my Cerebral Palsy . He was a man with an almost mystical quality to me. Someone who had managed to transcend his life changing disability, whilst achieving extraordinary things. In the week of his passing, I feel the need to tell you how this great man influenced my life in ways you couldn’t possibly imagine. 

Acceptance is a process. Always changing, never static. You begin with the “Why me?” phase, where there is a furious desire for explanation, almost as if the answer to your question will provide immediate comfort. When the answer does not appear, you frantically search for someone to blame, celestial or otherwise. 

Then it hits you. 

The enormous realisation that nothing is going to change, no matter how passionately you implore the heavens above.  My adolescent years were consumed with the battle of trying to navigate my way through puberty. At the same time I was endeavouring to discover my own identity, an identity which was not completely framed by disability or my inability to do certain things.

Now that I have reached my thirties, I thankfully understand that my acceptance of my disability is fluid. There will always be things I cannot do. Most of the time I will be able to comprehend my limitations. However, from time to time my imperfections become very burdensome. I am not asking for your pity, I am merely pointing out the nature of being human. Once we find some semblance of solace with the way things are, life gets a little easier. 

Stephen Hawking is ever present in the back of my mind. His determination to defy expectations and be an advocate for disabled people burns like a torch in my heart, subconsciously propelling me forward. Consequently, I am equipped with the resolve to push myself even further. Since I was young I have always believed in laughing at yourself, thereby making it easier for people to relate to you. You cannot expect society to accept you, without a willingness to cherish yourself first. Stephen Hawking should be a role model to us all. His fierce love for life, despite everything is an inspiration to all humanity. 


Rest in Peace, Stephen Hawking. 

Comments