Skip to main content

Fantastic Footy

It's all kicking off. Over the last fortnight new seasons of the Championship and Premier League have begun respectively. My brother and I am are avid Burton Albion fans. It has been a privilege to watch their meteoric rise from League 2 to the dizzying heights of the Championship. I am lucky to have been a season ticket holder for the majority of that time. We are a family club with strong links to the local community. Whenever I return to the Pirelli Stadium, after the eternity of closed season, it genuinely feels like I am coming home. There is nothing quite like the lush smell of a freshly seeded football pitch. 

I digress. I have traveled to numerous football grounds and their disabled facilities are excellent. I always feel welcome and well looked after. The disabled seating area is inevitably a superb vantage point to experience all the action, amidst your fellow fans, saving you from any feelings of segregation. You are the same as everyone else, your passion for the beautiful game unites you. 

I have always had a desire to challenge myself and push against stereotypes about disability. I am saving up for my Football Coaching badges and hoping to work with Burton Albion Academy. How can a disabled man coach able bodied football? The truth is, I don't know, but I have to give it a try. Surely, if you expect society to accept you, you need to be the catalyst for the integration!

See you next week.

John xx

Comments